Thursday, January 2, 2014

2013 Anime Awards

Best Anime

OVERALL

Attack On Titan




Runner Ups

My Teen Romantic Comedy Snafu, Nisemonogatari, Kill La Kill



FALL 2013

Kill La Kill



Runner Ups

Kyousogiga



I think it's safe to say that these were easy picks for the best anime series I've seen. The Overall category can be tough because it pits all the best Anime from the past till now but It has to be Attack On Titan all the way. It truly is one of gems we haven't seen in Anime or cartoons in general in quite awhile and it made people who didn't even watch anime, watch it. And like it! As far as the breakout of the fall series, it's simple to choose Kill La Kill, I'm not even going to argue.



Favorite

OVERALL

My Teen Romantic Comedy Snafu



Runner Ups

Attack On Titan, Bakemonogatari, Kill La Kill, Oreimo



FALL 2013

Kill La Kill



Runner Ups

Kyousogiga



This category is really just personal opinion and if you saw my reviews for these set, you have an idea why. But in short, My Teen Romantic is one of the early series I saw after I started watching anime again and what a welcome this anime was. Kill La Kill once again, was an easy call with all its looney tooney action .



Most Artistic

OVERALL

The Eccentric Family



Runner Ups

Kyousougiga, Nisemonogatari, FLCL



FALL 2013

Kyosougiga



Runner Ups

Kill La Kill



The Eccentric family has paintings written all over every frame with its bright and vivid color palette. The most artistic category is a bit weird for me because it is in a vague sense. As far as direction goes, I probably would have given it to the monogatari series but this category is purely from an animated standpoint and nothing more. Kyosougiga hit on all cylinders when it came to its soundtrack and animated characters.



Most Surprising



OVERALL

Silver Spoon



Runner Ups

Free!, Kokoro Connect, Samurai Flamenco, Arpeggio of Blue Steel; Planet Ars Nova



FALL 2013

Arpeggio of Blue Steel; Planet Ars Nova



Runner Ups

Samurai Flamenco



Silver Spoon came from out of nowhere. Who knew I would be interested in an anime about Farm life? Well, this has a lot of substance and heart by the time Ep. 11 came to a close. I looked passed Silver Spoon until I heard many praises for it. Definite must watch!



As far as Arpeggio is concerned, I had it out for this anime from the start but I thought it would end up just being a generic action oriented series with lots of fan service. Well, they managed to put fan service here but the show was actually pretty smart and well directed. Every episode was great to watch and save for the gorilla episode in Samurai Flamenco, this show was it for me.



Most Disappointing

OVERALL

Birdy The Mighty; Decode



Runner Ups

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, Coppellion



FALL 2013

Coppellion



Runner Ups

Samurai Flamenco



Is it possible for me to nominate Birdy as a Most Surprising Candidate as well? LOL, because after the 1st episode, I wondered why this anime had passed me by, then I watched a couple of more and I realized why. There was so much good things that came from the 1st episode with all its potential that It was disappointing to see that I saw it so sparingly in the 20+ Epic. That's not to say though, the 2nd season was great.



Yet as far as just straight up being disappointing goes, it'll have to be for Coppellion which had barely caught my attention from start to beginning, I haven't even watched the last three episodes that's how bad it is. Usually the last three are always a must watch...Also Samurai Flamenco after, yes I'll say it again, the Gorilla/ King Torture fiasco.



Most Underrated

OVERALL

The Eccentric Family



Runner Ups

Kyousougiga, Silver Spoon



FALL 2013

Kyousougigga



WATCH THESE SHOWS!



Guilty Pleasure

OVERALL

Oreimo



Runner Ups

Dog and Scissors, Infinite Stratos



FALL 2013

Infinite Stratos Season 2



I had fun watching Oreimo and Infinite Stratos even though they had shortcomings as well as the subject matter at hand. Overall, these shows were really just for entertainment at that without too much progress towards a plot or storyline. Grab some popcorn and watch without a thinking mind!



Least Favorable

OVERALL

Golden Time



Runner Ups

Coppellion



Since they are the least favorable, or "worst" Anime for me this year, I didn't even bother looking up pictures for these. Watch with caution!



There you have it! A lot of good Anime watched this year for me personally, compared to probably any year of my life. I'd never seen so many in just a year! Just be on the lookout once 2014 comes around and let's see who gets top honors!



Keep watching and Ciao!
Full Post

No comments:

Post a Comment